The Enneagram is a powerful tool for understanding yourself, the box you’re in, and pathways to help you get out of that box and find enhanced freedom for yourself and in your relationships!
All of us have unconscious habits of thinking, feeling, and doing that are getting in the way of our personal and spiritual growth. Becoming aware of those inner motivations and messages can lessen our suffering and set us free to be who God created us to be. This self-awareness can make day-to-day life and relationships a LOT less frustrating!
We offer a variety of classes on the Enneagram. Each time we’ll do a short centering practice to get us started, then we’ll offer some teaching on one topic, and we’ll have plenty of time for small group discussion and personal reflection.
The Enneagram & Real Life
Ready to take your Enneagram knowledge to the next level and apply it to your real, everyday life?
With more conversation and experiential practices and less new content, we’ll talk about how the Enneagram can transform and bring growth and healing to your relationships (your marriage or partnership, kids, friends, colleagues/boss), your work life, and your home life, all grounded in your spiritual life.
We’ll practice observing ourselves non-judgmentally, with kindness toward ourselves. And we’ll work on grounding ourselves in our bodies, opening our hearts, and quieting our minds, moving toward three-centered wholeness.
- 1st & 3rd Mondays (5-6 sessions), October 4 & 18, November 1 & 15, December 6 (& maybe Dec 20). 6-8pm.
- Starts on Zoom for at least the first couple of weeks.
- For those who already know their number and have done some work with the Enneagram. Maximum of 15 participants.
- Facilitated by the whole Enneagram teaching team: Julie Johnson, Aimee Lotz, Lora McConnell, & Beth Palmer.
- Suggested donation: $30. (You can contribute online HERE; use the Operating Fund line and put “Ennaegram class” in the memo field. We’ll also collect contributions at class.)
New to the Enneagram?
Not sure of your Number yet?
One-on-one Typing Conversations
We offer one-on-one typing conversations. Contact Beth Palmer, Director of Adult Discipleship, to schedule with any member of the teaching team. Suggested donation $50-$100 (pay what you can).
The Enneagram typing session with Beth Palmer was extremely beneficial to my Enneagram journey, and I would highly recommend Beth as a facilitator to anyone who is looking to learn more about the Enneagram.Bethani A., Spring 2021
Resources for Beginners
There’s a lot of Enneagram information out there these days, and that can be overwhelming for those new to its wisdom! Here are some recommendations and resources for learning about the Enneagram and discerning your type. Reach out to Beth Palmer, Director of Adult Discipleship, with your questions.
- The Enneagram Institute is an excellent resource. Their “Learn” section is full of important, well-respected teaching.
- The Road Back to You, by Ian Morgan Cron and Suzanne Stabile, is a good introduction. It’s easy to read and full of good stories, and it tends to be pretty helpful in type identification for beginners. We have a couple of copies in the church office ($20); contact Beth Palmer to arrange pick up.
- Fr. Richard Rohr’s Center for Action and Contemplation has a good introduction.
- Anything by Russ Hudson! Check out his Enneagram teachings on his website (russhudson.com) and on YouTube; search for him as a guest on various podcasts; read his books. We especially recommend his series of stand-alone webinars in collaboration with The Awakened Company, especially episode numbers 3 (“How Do I Find My Enneagram Type”), 2 (“The Original and Core Teachings of the Enneagram”), and 4 (“Strengths and Weaknesses of the Enneagram Types”) ($25-$35 each on demand).
- While we don’t recommend Enneagram tests in general, as they’re often inaccurate, here’s a simple one that might help point you in the right direction. Your self-observations are a far better indicator of your type. Think about what you were like in your teens and twenties; this is when the Ego Personality is generally most obvious.
Recommended podcasts (start with the first episodes):
- The Enneagram Journey, by Suzanne Stabile.
- Enneagram 2.0, by Beatrice Chestnut and Uranio Paes.
- Typology, by Ian Morgan Cron.
About the Enneagram Teaching Team
Julie Johnson, Aimee Lotz, Lora McConnell, and Beth Palmer have all taken many training classes with various experts on the Enneagram, including Russ Hudson, Bea Chestnut, Belinda Gore, Lisa Bueche, Connie Frecker, and the International Enneagram Association. Beth Palmer, M.Div., Director of Adult Discipleship for Hilliard UMC, is certified as an Applied Professional through the Enneagram Institute of Ohio (including 56 hours of coursework), and Aimee and Julie have almost completed the certification requirements.
Want to help support this teaching ministry with a contribution to the church? You can give from your phone using our GivePlus+ app or online through our website (click or tap for online giving, use the Operating Fund line, and put “Enneagram class” in the memo line). We also never want the cost of a book or class to keep you from participating, so please sign up whether you can contribute financially or not! Pay what you can, if you can, and otherwise it’s on us, happily! And if you’d like to pay it forward and contribute a few extra dollars toward someone else’s class or book, we receive all contributions with gratitude. Thank you!
Beth Palmer, Director of Adult Discipleship
614.876.2403 (church office)